9/23/2013

Standhope 60K AKA "The Higher I Get, the Higher I Get, the worse my altitude head ache gets" AKA "To Find the Trail Just Look for the Rocks"

The quick version of this report is as follows. Standhope 60K was an amazing race, it was very technical, incredibly steep, somewhat runnable, the views were like no other race I have ever done, I made the first cut off by a mere two minutes and I missed the final cut off by 38 minutes. I ran and hiked in beautiful country and despite my "late" finish I did it -- every single step. No excuses! Now for the details....
In the days leading up to the race I was apprehensive, everything that had been written about the race made me feel like this was a little out of my league. To be perfectly honest, I was not excited about running Standhope -- however I was FULLY committed to running all the races in the series so I gave myself no choice. I made the lovely 278.8 mile drive to Wild Horse Creek Ranch. The drive was amazing, I drove solo so I had time to think, sing at the top of my lungs and follow my own bliss -- I felt like I was on vacation with a nifty little run nestled in the middle. The Ranch was awesome, secluded and very comfortable. Shortly after I rolled in my good buddy Rachael showed up, we had planning on sticking together for this race since we both felt a little uneasy about the course. The evening flew by with a very brief race briefing, a yummy spaghetti dinner, lots of laughter and some excellent "zzzz". As always I opted for the early start, the morning was very pleasant at around 30 degrees. The anticipation of the day was palpable, I was finally feeling excited. We were on our way. It took most of the runners a little time to settle into a good pace and into the elevation. As we traversed up the trail the scenery began to unfold into what would turn out to be the most rugged terrain I have ever run.
Traveling in a nice little group of three made for a fun run early in the day. We got off course before reaching the first aid station -- which is never a good feeling. Luckily the three of us had a good deal of experience, we made some great decisions and were only off course for a few minutes. The trail was fairly runnable to the first aid station. And boy the first aid station was a doozy. We found a lone shoe at the AS that left all of us a little confused and disheartened... What the heck was a lone running shoe doing at the first aid station? We may never know :)
I have always loved to split my races up into sections, this race was no different. "I just have to get the the next aid station." is a statement I have told myself may times. With Standhope Rachael and I often went from one boulder to another boulder a few yards up. The air was thin and stopping frequently was part of our plan -- catch my breath, slow my heart rate -- run a happier, healthier race. The first two climbs were nothing compared to the third -- but we did not truly know this yet. The second climb was lush compared to the third. So many beautiful trees and shrubs and a wonderful trail up to the top, though it took my breath away and at times made me feel like it was very possible I could fall off the mountain I fully enjoyed all the climbing -- I am often at my best when I am climbing hard -- there are runs when I feel like I can eat the mountains up and at times on the first two climbs I felt my own power. Cresting the second climb was awesome!
Coming off of IMTUF 100 just three weeks prior to Standhope brought with it a new and different attitude and a recovering body. I had put a great deal of time into studying the course for IMTUF, I had pace charts and I knew to the best of my ability what to expect. For Standhope I was winging it, yes I knew what the elevation profile looked like, I read the description but I had ZERO expectation on myself or the race. Honestly, I just wanted to get it done...
I was determined to finish and honestly after the first two climbs I was certain I would finish with enough time in the day to enjoy the company of other Ultra runners,have a beer and a good dinner. My body felt strong and my mind was solid. What was to follow did not in fact provide me with an "early" finish. A point came in the race when we were slapped in the face with time, Fall Creek AS had a cut off of 1:45, when we realized we were cutting it very close we put the pedal to the metal. I can honestly say, if I can help it, I will NEVER EVER run cuts offs again, the stress is not fun. We hit Fall Creek with two tiny minutes to spare -- we were rushed in and out so quickly that I did not have time to get enough food -- soon I would be looking at the biggest climb of the day and the longest slowest miles to the finish and I was feel demoralized by the close call and the rushing. We stomped up the hill and munched on what we had. It was here that I questioned my race "What the hell am I doing out here and why the hell is it taking so long." I cleared my head and pushed on -- RESET! We have plenty of time, no worries enjoy this! The little baby climb out of mile 20 was fun and forested, I felt better and was looking forward to seeing some alpine lakes and felt a nervous excitement about the big climb. We ran deep down into the basin -- which I will add is at roughly 7000 feet so down is not truly what it is comparably to my 1803 at home. We ran the flats and power hiked the steep parts, we found boulder mountain sides and alpine lakes. One thing can be said for this course -- it was breathtakingly beautiful! As I said I break races down into baby bites and this next bite for Betty Lake and she was very elusive! At some point to follow both Rachael and I fell apart, at separate times thankfully. It was the falling apart that I treasure the most out of this racing experience. Holding another runner up when she has lost her mojo, is feeling broken, cannot believe we are in the bottom of a basin with no portal is nothing short of empowering, it is essential, it builds deep bonds and ignites a fire within both runners. We were in it together. The only way we were gonna get home was to go UP UP UP and OVER! The only way out was UP. Step by step, boulder to boulder, tree to tree, breath to breath, the slow slog up. At one point I sat down on a rock with my head in my hands declaring it would most certainly take us two and a half effing hours to get to the top -- the words power and hike were in a fight at this point. "Get up Mariah we gotta get out of here." She was right... We pressed on. As we moved up the vegetation disappeared and it was the steepest rock field I had ever been this close to. All I could think was that there was no possible way we were going up and over "that" point. We could not see the trail from out vantage and when we finally did I was honestly afraid to stop for fear of falling backwards. I got very good at the turn around stabilizing stop to catch my breath move. It only took us 45 minutes... Once we crested, I spotted Betty Lake and boy howdy she was really far down there! Steep, Steep, Steep! We rolled in, thankfully we did not technically roll in, I am fairly certain they were very happy to see us --but not as happy as we were to see them. We had known since Fall Creek that we were dead last since we were the last to make the cutoff. I might add at this point that the very best part about being last was the fact that in this inaugural race we would always hold the title of being "the first to be last." Ahh yes no one can ever take that title!
With a little more than 6 miles to the finish we had to kick it into gear, Rachael was struggling with a bad altitude headache and some nausea. We were instructed that we had to go UP again, we were not impressed but again -- we are strong minded ultra runners and we pressed on. I was ready to eat that mountain for dinner, I felt my power! I had to search for flags, not a wonderful feeling. I went ahead as Rachael took some time to get herself settled. After finding the flag I yelled down to her "Come on girl we gotta go, get up here!!!". The next two mile section was technical but runnable, it felt great to stretch my legs after climbing for so long. The air changed. The trail soften beneath my feet and Rachael caught up taking the lead in her strong suit -- the downhill. We ran and soon found the forest again and it was time for headlamps. A few of the flags to the finish had been removed, we had learned that if we did not see a flag for a certain period we must be off track -- we turned around thinking we had taken a wrong turn in the dark; only to find out we were inside of a mile from the finish. Our dreams of finishing before the cut off had faded 20 minutes before. For the first time this year I ran face to face with the "Sweep". Mike Blessing was a sight for sore eyes, he hugged me and turned us around and pushed us to the finish line-- he saw "that look" in my eye and reminded me "Mariah you are awesome you got it." It was the darkest most anticlimactic finish of the year... of my racing life. I was deeply disappointed, at that moment, and the tears poured out of my eyes-- I could not stop them. I was bummed.... It will never cease to amaze me how the mind works, we had an hour drive back the Wild Horse Creek Ranch. I was quiet for the first half, then I started to settle into the fact that I finished -- I DID IT! Yes it was 38 minutes past the friggin cut off but I finished, I did not quit, I did not get pulled -- I FINISHED! Soon I was smiling about the experience. I hit many highs and many lows on that day-- before, during and after the race. My take away.... Ultra friendships are amazingly strong, I will not do this race again, I learned a great deal, I grew as a runner and as a person while I was out there. I am happy I did it, I would not have it any other way. NO EXCUSES! Seven down one to go!

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Mariah. Congrats on another gutsy finish. It sounds like you pulled a few punches here and graciously accepted the "over-the-cutoff" finish. I heard you guys did plenty of extra miles backtracking- but you were on the course- just didn't find any markers. If I were you, I would chalk it up to a great long day of training in the hills and move on. Learn the game in 2013, master the game in 2014. Best wishes, Jer

    ReplyDelete