9/08/2013

The Crew and the Pacers

Again my thoughts return to the fact that these lofty goals that we set for ourselves as long distance runners -- cannot and would not come to such amazing fruition without powerful, driven, loving supports! They say that all things happen for a reason, that people come into your life because it is meant to be -- not only for you but also for them. The crew and pacers that came together to help me achieve a great and happy finish at IMTUF was nothing short of "right on radical". As "the runner" it is difficult to know all that goes into driving all over the mountains logging far more than 100 miles, waiting for my arrival and being prepared for anything that I might request, and offering me everything under the sun and moon in selfless style, with kindness, seriousness and humor. The crew must have one main goal -- get the runner to the finish line healthy and in the time the runner has in mind; this sounds simple-- but no. Imagine standing the cold at 4 am waiting for your runner to appear at the Aid Station -- not knowing what she will be feeling or needing and knowing that she is so close -- well over half way, she is nearly home, the excitement and exhaustion equally potent, as a group you are hoping that she feels strong and that she is not injured -- and still you must wait. As the runner comes into the A.S joy, elation, tears, love, exhaustion.... Feed her, hug her encourage her, keep her moving, it is not time to celebrate yet -- four minutes of hustle and she is gone, you know you will not see her again for hours,and those hours... well they are always unknown. The role of crew is so powerful, as a runner words cannot express my admiration for "The Crew". The space in-between crewing the runner, can ,I am sure, be long and at times grueling -- if that is true my crew never wavered, not in my presence. While I spent less than 30 minutes with my crew over the 33 hours and 28 minutes of running -- there is one thing I know for sure, these people bonded. A bond that happens with hours of going here and there, with hours of staying awake when sleep was needed, with being pushed to the limit and with one goal in mind -- the runners success. Pretty powerful stuff right there! My crews had unique dynamic -- I had a few friends that had never crewed a runner but knew me well, and I had a few that have crewed several runners over the years, everyone took it seriously with a fabulous infusion of humor, assertiveness and kindness. I am fairly certain my crew created memories they will not soon forget. The bond woven together with raw emotion and focus! I have heard stores of their journey and it makes my heart sing that they laughed hard, cried hard and felt like they had purpose.
As with all big endeavors, I had a plan. I would pick up my first pacer at mile 44 and at this time I would also see my crew. Meeting up with Mike Blessing was great! His role was to get me through the night, his goal was to push me and get me a strong finish-- sounds simple, nope not so. Again, this whole thing is based on the runner -- but I will say without a shadow of a doubt the pacer can easily set the race in motion and if they are good... well -- GREAT things happen. Pacers, like the crew are selfless, if they hurt to bad, it is not their race, if they are struggling, to bad it is not their race -- Pacing can be grueling (I have yet to pace but I sure hope I get the opportunity next year). As Mike said to me shortly after I picked him up -- "I am doing this for you, this race is not about me... This is your race and I am honored you asked me to help.. now let's go." Traipsing up and down mountains in the dark, leading a runner to the dawn is nothing short of awesome. With every reflective marking and "glowie" Mike would say -- "Look there it is, you know what that is a sign of??? HOPE." Even when it was grueling, even when a mile felt like ten -- Mike saw hope and he saw the finish -- my finish.
I would pick up my second pacer (my finish line pacer)at mile 86, I would also see my crew for the last time until we were near the end. Randy Benthin came in with a good deal of experience. Again, the goal -- get the runner to the finish in the time she is looking for. Randy was clear setting pacing goals, and making sure I took in enough calories. It was a slug fest -- I will say that not knowing your pacer can work to your advantage -- I mean who wants to bitch and moan and whine in front of a person they have only just met! Randy took me up and down the trail telling stories to get my mind off my feet and asking questions to make sure I was in "good shape", again great pacer qualities. There are so many awesome things that happen out there on the trail hours pass by in the "real world", but for the runner and her crew and pacers things are different bonds are made, a job gets done -- forgive me but I have to say "shit changes out there."
At the risk of sounding redundant here WOW WOW WOW -- best crew, best plan, best pacers EVER, they say that when things can line up on race day great finishes happen! It was so great I am already ready to do it again. Buckle bound 2014!
Celebration time with the crew! Oh YEAH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment