2/08/2013

Running with Math

Several months ago my running partner and I were out for a nice 12 mile run, we were quietly making our way up a hill and she turned to me and said "Are you counting?" We both laughed.. YUP, I was. I love to count things on the run and everywhere else. I love to play with numbers even and odd -- my very favorite number is eight but whose counting (: I add up miles, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly. I count the number of times I would need to run the length of my small town to reach 16 miles. I count breaths, birds on the run, I count minutes and hours on the run, sometimes I count the moments, especially if I am hungry and have no food. I count the number of miles I plan to run in one year of races. On the long run I count the steps to the next snack, I count several trees ahead when I tell myself it is okay to walk for a few minutes. While there is marvelous meaning in the numbers that I love to count it is the process that I enjoy, the intention I set with the numbers and my relationship with them. Filling time and space with movement and forward motion. For me doing math on the run is as fun as the run....

No comments:

Post a Comment