1/21/2013

A Frosty Season Opener

The walk from the parking area to the race sign-in gave me shivers! The cold and the excitement were exhilarating. I was nervous, mainly because I had no idea what to expect. After check in I went to find a place to sit down to put on my running spikes, as I sat I felt a wet spot on the seat and realized that my hydration tube was on the open setting -- super wet running tights in below zero weather before a race... not good! A little embarrassed, I started to feel unsure of myself, but before that feeling completely flooded me I heard the call that the race was about to begin. I set off to the start, flicked on my head lamp and got my game face on, drowning out the voice in my head that said I did not belong here. BANG.... go time, we took off nice and easy. With no idea what the space around me looked like I focused on the trail ahead, running at an easy pace, climbing the first few hills with ease. After a few miles I found my stride and moved ever forward, four miles in I realized my hydration tube was frozen solid despite my efforts to do all the right things to prevent that -- it remained frozen for 14 miles.... I pressed on knowing that I need not be fixated on the problem, I just needed to run. The first aid station came up fast and was a delight, I love aid stations with my entire heart -- these people are amazing! I enjoyed some beef broth, got my spikes fixed, grabbed some M&M's and pressed on, 10 miles to the next aid station and a summit in-between, ROCK ON I felt great. The sun was up now and I was in awe of how beautiful it was, boulders round and smooth as big as houses, the sage brawny in the windswept fields, the day sparkled with the cold and I pressed on. I struggled to get to the summit, the snow deep in places and the footing mostly uncertain, I was grateful to have my running spikes even if I did have to stop and adjust them every few miles -- it was worth it especially on the decent. Coming into the next aid station was a joy,I get such a charge out of seeing the A.S volunteers, the encouragement, the food, the smiles are all fuel for me. I pressed on, two more miles and I would likely see my family, another boost for me during a race. I ran my heart out to the start/finish with 10 miles to go I felt great, super happy and loving it; it actually felt nice outside though I knew it was still very cold. My wonderful friends and family standing in the cold loving me, believing in me, it all made me feel warm and supported! Ten miles to go and the songs in my head got louder and louder, I sang out loud, told myself stories, bitched and moaned a little and laughed at my insanity. A few more miles to go, maybe six, maybe four, my watch was dead so I did not really know, I pressed on. As I entered the canyon, I stopped in my tracks totally mesmerized by the beauty and how tiny I felt among this chasm. I was moved to tears and felt something shift in me, I was doing something that I loved in the most amazing place, deeply grateful I pressed on. With each race I run and each mile that I train I learn something and I have learned that some energy reserve makes for a stronger happier finish. Many times the last few miles are the hardest for me, not this time I ran stronger and faster in the last four miles than I did the previous 26 I felt empowered. This race gave me many gifts but the one I value the most right now is the courage. Courage to press on alone for miles and miles and hours and hours in the cold. It was one helluva kick off to what is sure to be a radical year. Here's to running the the freezing cold and loving it!

2 comments:

  1. Great write up Mariah!! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have a way with words friend! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete