1/20/2013

4:17am: I am sitting in the bathroom in our hotel room sipping yesterday's coffee as a grand way to escape the not so yummy hotel coffee. My family sleeping sweetly in the room next to me. My gear is set out neatly across the edge of the bath tub, where later I will no doubt soak my tired, cold muscles. Hot water has brewed for my oatmeal and the bathroom heater is on full blast, my efforts to be warm in the moment will extend all day long. The current temperature is a balmy three below zero and will likely scoot up to 12 degrees by the time I cross the finish line. I look over my gear -- I am ready and my mind is made up, I will run with my heart -- today is a good day to run a Frozen 50K. 4:56am: My mind is dancing, daydreaming of the summit, the trinket I must retrieve as proof of my effort to reach the top. I am both focused and wiggly. The element of surprise is one of those things that in part I seek, that I adore and in other part that makes me squirm. The cold is no surprise today and that is what makes me squirm at the moment as I layer up for the day in the warmth of my hotel bathroom. But as always I believe I can and I will. Several hours from now I will celebrate my first finish of the year -- a year that will be epic, amazing, breathtakingly beautiful and pretty insane. But for now oatmeal for fuel, water for hydration.... I am on the run....

No comments:

Post a Comment