8/12/2013

Race Rocks to Date

The day I made my final decision that I would run and hopefully finish every race in the ITUS I thought about all the nerdy things I like to do, collections, calculations, estimations, silly basic math on the run, food logs, experimentation, blogging, FB posting -- all the good stuff that goes into life as I know it in on the run and beyond. So why wouldn't I commit to collecting a rock from every race! Most certainly another story is born with this collection...
Wilson Creek "Seriously" Frozen 50K "what the french" -- first race of the series! This little gem was collected in the last 9 miles of this race -- things had "warmed" up an my spirits were at the highest they had been throughout the entire race -- I snatched up this rock and ran my heart out. Made it in 8:25:12 WAY longer than I had imagined but still strong and still a great finish.
Pickled Feet 12 hour night run March 29, 2013 - Plan number one run at least 40 miles, plan number two run 50 miles -- Result I ran 51.5! This little beauty was collected on my very last lap at Eagle Island. Caution --- TMI I squatted down to pee, and there it was the most beautiful piece of obsidian I had ever seen. "Oh wow, how lucky am I, the gorgeous rock just sitting here waiting for me to scoop it up." I struggled to get it into my pack feeling not so flexible as I made my way around my final loop of the radical 12 hour run, I was so excited to show this rock to my peeps. The next morning my Mom inquired about my race rock! "Oh YEAH, you will never believe it... I found this awesome piece of obsidian." I retrieved it from my pack and lo and behold it was a piece of charcoal.... BAHAHAHAH my ultra head was out.... Nuf said.
Silver City June 22, 2013 a super rad race with more lessons than I can count today. The first 20 miles was shared with fellow runner and awesome human Rachael Bazzett, we watched the sunrise, ran, walked, got lost (by SHORT DISTANCE) we laughed and climbed, we solved problems and made plans this was my very favorite race starts all year. After our second water crossing she was climbing hard and taking off... again I squat and WOW this time for real I find the most beautiful rock and at the 20 mile(ish) mark, the crystal rock as incredible and made me smile, give thanks and move ever forward -- I love this rock and I loved running Silver City! Finish time 19:32:28 -- pretty good.
McCall Classic July 13. 2013 40 miles morphing into 45 miles... One word on this rock WATERMELON and three more words I LOVE YOU! Strong race, happy runner finish time 12:41:48.
Wild Idaho 50K August 3, 2013, finish time 8:52:44. The ups and downs and all arounds were shiny and gorgeous. I was as happy as could be even in the midst of the climb. I collected this shiny beauty in the first 17 miles on the down, down, down to the turn around. So much sand and rock it was really pretty and nice on the feet. Love this shiny little gem it one for the collection as is this lovely race!
So far so good this year! I love my rocks and my race bibs but most of all I love the connections I have made and the success I have had. I like to say I am not in it to win it but I am IN IT to the max. Rock on people!

No comments:

Post a Comment