12/13/2012

It all Started with Tough Mudder

I had run here and there throughout my life -- short runs 3 to 5 miles but I had not really run in a few years. My best friend and I signed up for Tough Mudder in July 2012 in Vancouver BC, I thought "Well, I better start running" so one day after my morning workout group I ran 2 miles and liked it. I kept running , I set a goal for 2012 to run 1000 miles. I started reading running books both personal accounts and trai
ning books-- I was hooked. After reading Born to Run I thought "I really want to do that.... how amazing would that be to run long distance." So I signed up for my first half marathon thinking I needed to start somewhere and at the time I thought 13.1 miles was really far! I ran my first half marathon on February 19, 2012 missing my goal time by 2 minutes disappointed but feeling more alive than ever I vowed to run another half to hit my goal time of 1 hour 48 minutes. I trained harder, I ran longer, I studied training guides and read more books about running I ran another half in May and nailed my time. I wanted more so I kept running.... I trained my heart out and realized that the longer I ran the happier I was, the better I felt. I suffered through a few injuries, I learned a bunch and a ran some amazing races-- Tough Mudder, Dirty Dash, Endurance Days FULL marathon, Race to Summit Half Marathon, Foothills Frenzy 50K, Grand Ridge 50K. Eight races in all for 2012, I hit my goal of 1000 mile 52 days ahead of schedule. I ran my first 50K 243 days after my first half marathon running has become a major part of my life, I feel more me when I run. I have fun when I run even when it hurts and I like that. Each week I set goals, I count miles, I run fast and slow, long and short -- I enjoy it... 2013 will be a crazy year as my goals are hefty. My journey to a 100 mile race has begun -- really it stated the moment I crossed the finish line of my first Half Marathon in Birch Bay. I will follow my heart, I will run hard, I will break through walls and I will do my very best. I will take the good, the bad and the ugly and I will apply it to the next run, the next race. I will share my journey with the hope that it will inspire, I will tell it like it is on good days and bad days. I will have fun!

1 comment: