4/03/2013

Are your feet pickled yet?

Leading up to my first 12 hour night run -- the jury in my head was scrutinizing my ability "Are you really a runner?" "Do you even belong in this ultra running community?" "What the hell are you thinking?" "You have been sick for 10 days, you are not at the top of your game!" Shaking my head of these crazy thoughts I set my sights and as always I set them high -- the goal 50 plus miles, run strong, run long, eat and drink well -- face your fears, you are a long distance runner, you got this. In the two days leading up to the event I rested a ton, laughed a lot and visualized myself running happy. Waiting for a night time event is tough. Sleep was not happening the excitement was brewing -- no... it was boiling... Prepped my bag, packed, unpacked and packed again -- I was ready in every way, calm and confident (finally). As we pulled into the park my heart raced and my eyes sparkled it was time. Race briefing, potty break, game time. The clock struck 6pm and the horn blew, we ran and ran and ran and ran. I came out strong and fast, four loops in and I had not stopped at the aid station -- forward motion was my mantra. The first 15 miles went by really fast, I watched the sun go down and the moon rise. Twenty five miles in time to slow it down a little, it was going to be a long night. I got very comfortable running with the night sky, spending more time running solo on the trail that I had expected. I had come into the race with a serious sinus infection and at mile 37 I blew a snot rocket that looked like an amoeba, the pressure released-- I never looked back, I ran with more freedom in my body and in my head. It is amazing how quickly things can change on the long run, at mile 40 I melted down, my heart was beating fast and hard, my emotions were off the hook and I was freaked out, emotional and nauseous. Emily,one of the race directors talked me down, gave me some ginger ale and sent me on my way, more connected and in touch with the the job at hand; to reach my goal I needed to run 10 more miles, it was in the bag or was it??!! I love to do math as I run but at mile 40 I could not calculate what I needed to run in order to make my goal. I decided to forget the mind numbing calculations and just run -- I remembered the visualizations I had the day before of me running happy, so for 5 mile miles I ran happy and smiling. Mile 45 melt down number 2! I called my husband (who was in Las Vegas at the time -- yes it was the wee hours of the morning) he was up and ready to talk me back to good. It is in these moments that a long distance runner does not want to answer a bunch of questions, I wanted to be talked to, I wanted to listen then I wanted to finish this run. I trotted fast as he spoke, he assured me I had plenty of time and would likely run more that 50 miles, I believed him. I ran. I crossed the finish line a few moments before 6am with 51.5 miles. I did it! I learned so much, felt deeply supported by my friends, family and the ultra running community. I feel grateful to have landed into such an amazing group of runners. My training for Silver City is underway and the Journey to IMTUF 100 is in full effect with two races down and nearly 400 training miles under my belt. The race directors had placed a few signs along the trail -- I had two that fully resonated with me "What I think expands." and "I finish what I start." You bet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment